Surf Instructor Academy Program
Introducing The Pacific Surf School
Surf Instructor License and Training Academy!
Want to work on the beach doing what you love?
Become a licensed surf instructor with Pacific Surf School’s comprehensive 3 week Surf Instructor License and Training Academy. Graduate 100% certified to teach for Pacific Surf School or start your own surf instruction business wherever you want!
We’ll teach you everything you need to know, including: surf lesson instruction methodologies, surf instructor and student safety, wave dynamics, and communication skills. You’ll earn official CPR and First Aid Certifications from the American Heart Association, as well as your Open Water Certification and Surf Instructor License.
Complete the course and have full access to our booking software, which gives you the freedom to open your own business and organize your schedule. You will be able to license the powerful Pacific Surf brand and either work in one of our certified partner schools (in San Diego, Los Angeles, or Hawaii) or open your own business wherever you want!
- Official Pacific Surf International Instructor License
- Official Open Water Certification
- CPR Certification from the American Heart Association
- First Aid Certification from the American Heart Association
- Complete surf instructor training: ocean safety, surf instruction methodologies, wave dynamics, and communication skills
- Comprehensive instruction on how to open and operate a professional surf school
- Leadership development course
- All equipment rental (Surfboards, wetsuits, leash, rash guards)
- Official Pacific Surf uniform, hat, t-shirt, business cards
After you graduate:
- Immediate eligibility for hiring at Pacific Surf San Diego, Los Angeles, or Hawaii
- License the Pacific Surf brand name and teach lessons wherever you want!
- Marketing (we sell lessons and book for you)
- Training and full access to our booking software
- 24/7 software and customer support
Unlimited surf lessons! You’ll spend the first week taking group surf lessons to develop your surfing skills. You’ll participate in surf fitness sessions, which include ocean swimming, stretching, and dryland circuit training to strengthen your surf muscles and increase your paddling power. You’ll learn surf theory and become an expert on surf etiquette and ocean awareness with the goal of increasing your ocean fitness and confidence.
During the second week, you’ll learn everything you need to know about instructing a surf lesson, including: instructor and student safety, surf instruction methodologies, wave dynamics, and communication skills. We’ll show you how to set up the school in the morning and how to close it up in the evenings. We’ll teach you exactly how to conduct a surf lesson from the on-beach training session to the in-water instruction. Through our shadowing program, you’ll learn how to interact with students, fix a surfboard, and tackle all the common challenges and scenarios that surf instructors encounter. The second half of the week will be spent earning your Open Water, CPR, and First Aid Certifications. You’ll enroll in an 18-hour course which will include both lecture and in-water sessions over the course of 3 days. You’ll become an expert on ocean safety, oceanography, rip currents, ocean rescue techniques, emergency preparedness, and surf group management. You’ll learn how to recognize danger, minimize student risk, and act decisively in an emergency in order to safely manage a group of students in the ocean.
Your turn to teach! You’ll get your feet wet in the role of an instructor by spending your last week as a Pacific Surf Instructor Apprentice, teaching surf lessons to students at our school in Pacific Beach. You’ll graduate with your license and certificate on the last day and have two options: start work for us immediately or start your own business.
March 11 | Abril 15 | June 10
Reserve your spot!
Now enrolling for March, April, and June classes.